DiveWizDiving Center in Hurghada
Salem Express Wreck
The Salem Express ran in 20 minutes on December 15, 1991.
470 people were drowned, and 180 had survived
Salem Express Wreck Trip
One day on board, including two dives with a dive guide, and time for a buffet lunch between the dives.
We need to depart early morning from Hurghada, heading to Safaga, where we start our dive trip by boat.
Duration: 7:30 – 16:00 approx / 2 Dives.
About Salem Express wreck
- Salem Express wreck is a 115m long passenger ferry that sank in Dec 1991, just an hour away from its final destination, the Safaga Port. It was built in 1964 at the French shipyards of La Seyne.
- This famous wreck in the Red Sea is a notable nautical grave because of the history of the tragic loss of life when she sank shortly after striking a reef at around 11:13 pm on Saturday, December 14th, 1991.
- It sank within 10-20 minutes of hitting the reef, preventing an orderly evacuation using the lifeboats, resulting in the deaths of over 470 passengers with only 180 survivors. It is a very emotional wreck dive that requires our respect.
- Still, diving on the Salem Express wreck is an unparalleled experience, unlike any other shipwreck in the Red Sea. It lies at a depth of 32m on the seafloor, 12m to the side of the wreck.
- You can still find remnants of the passenger’s stuff like personal luggage, carpets used for prayers, portable stereos, even bicycles, and pushchairs. Several of the lifeboats are upright and intact. You can dive through the restaurant, decks, as well as the upper and lower bridge.
Please remember that it is important to follow the maxim of “look as much but do not touch” respecting the remains of those who lost their lives on this ship.
1 Day: €135
2 Days: €255
- Scuba Diving weights and 12L Tanks .
- Dive instructor.
- Transfer: For hotels inside Hurghada.
- Food and beverages onboard: Buffet lunch, Coffee, Tea, Water & Soft drinks.
- Full set of Scuba Diving equipment (€20/day).
- Photos or videos (To be discussed).
- Transfer for far hotels: For Hotels in Makadi Bay, Soma Bay, Sahl Hasheesh, and El Gouna, €10-15 per person. (Better total prices for groups of 4 persons or more).
- Any special requests or extra services (To be discussed).
What to bring with you!
Towel Sun Cream
How to Book!
Please, send us an email with your details and any requests you may have, and then our support team will get back to you with the proper reply